Topic: EMP 2022-2027 Forum
Comments: Excellent forum today! Thank you for hosting this event and allowing me to join in. The vision provided by President Jones was very clear. The stats provided by Director Benavides were eye-opening – particularly the trend for the K-12 population figures. It also reminds me that number of students we serve who experience basic needs insecurity (especially around housing) is increasing.
- Submitted by Drew Gephart, International Services Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The following is being submitted as a request to incorporate international education as a part of the College of Alameda Educational Master Plan.
• Guided Pathways planning and process to help students stay on their path and ensure that learning is happening with intentional outcomes (International Students and Study Abroad)
• Student Equity and Achievement (SEA) committee to explore how study abroad is serving specifically the students who are identified as disproportionate. Identify specific success data for a disproportionate group of students that showed correlation between that groups success as a result of the PCCD study abroad.
International Student Outreach and Services
• Expand relationships with foreign institutions and partners to expand CoA contract education offerings for international students taking online classes from overseas.
• Work with CoA departments and faculty to coordinate workshops and visits for perspective international students
• Provide welcome days and online orientation for new international students
• Provide support services and work with CoA Student Services offices to deliver services to international students: transfer center, health services department, counseling, student activities and campus life.
• Provide international student workshops, activities and events which support international student recruitment and retention.
• Identify employment opportunities for international students
• Support an International Student Club on campus
• Work with CoA articulation officer to develop transfer/articulation agreements with overseas institutions
• CoA involvement in Study Abroad Advisory Committee – VP of Instruction
• Work with CoA Financial Aid office to hire Federal Work Study students for the Office of International Education
• Work with faculty to internationalize curriculum through Collaborative Online International Learning (COIL) programs, virtual international programs, and special collaborations with overseas partners, such as facilitating guest lectures.
• Develop new faculty-led study abroad programs
o Future programs being planned
§ 2023 – Accounting in Morocco
§ 2024 – Anthropology in Peru