Chem 1B Wednesday Lab Schedule
9/06 Lecture & problems: Ch. 16 cont. plus Ch. 17. Q and K, using the Law of Mass Action.
10/12 Lecture & Problems: Ch. 7 thermo review, 1st Law, Calorimetry at constant V vs constant P, enthalpy. Hess’s Law, standard states, formation reaction & thermodynamic tables, Hess’s Law formula.
10/24 Thermo problem session
11/01 Experiment 17 – Van’t Hoff equation lab – determining enthalpy of solution of borax from Ksp measured at various temperatures.
11/08 Experiment 15 – Nonstandard galvanic cells and the Nernst equation.
11/15 Experiment 14 – Galvanic and electrolytic cells. Measurement of the Faraday Constant with an electrolytic cell.
11/22 Experiment 5 part 1 – Rate law determination for oxidation of iodide by persulfate using method of initial rates.
11/29 Experiment 5 part 2 – Temperature dependence of the rate constant, Ahrrenius behavior of reaction from 11/23.
12/06 Coordination chemistry – Nomenclature and isomerism lab with molecular models.
Lab Report Rubric
Prepare before lab and show to lab instructor on arrival the following:
· Name, lab partner’s name, Date, Exp. #.
· Statement of Purpose.
· Brief summaries of procedures in your own words with space for observations and data collection.
· Answers to prelab questions.
Complete during and after lab:
· Data and observations (use tables if appropriate)
· Calculations, analysis, and uncertainty propagation analysis. (include table of results)
· Discussion of results
· Conclusion: brief restatement of most important result(s).
(Complete lab report is due a week after actually doing the lab.)