FAB LAB Hours
What is a Fab Lab?
A Fab Lab is a space where you can come to take advantage of tools, resources, and technology, using traditional and advanced manufacturing equipment to make almost anything.
Fab Labs offer the opportunity to dream, design, and refine ideas. One can come in and experiment for fun, or work towards developing a fully fledged product. At the CoA Fab Lab, our goal is to offer a communal space for people to make, to share, and to benefit from their work.
Where is the CoA Fab Lab?
The CoA Fab Lab is located on the main campus, in Room D-103. Our 1900 sq. ft. space–once an unused physics lab–is now home to a host of digital fabrication equipment. While many of our machines are controlled by software, we’re big believers in the fusion of tech and tradition. We have a small woodworking area, as well as a wide variety of hand tools.
What tools are available?
The following machines are available now at the CoA Fab Lab in Room D-103:
- Universal Industrial Series ILS 9.150D 24″ x 36″ Laser Cutter
- Stratasys Mojo FDM 3D printer
- Original Prusa I3 MK3 FDM 3D printer
- Formlabs Form 2 SLA 3D printer
- CEL Robox 3D FDM printer
- Roland GS-24 CAMM 1 desktop cutter
- Geo Knight & Co. DK20 clamshell heat press
- Geo Knight & Co. 32″ x 42″ Maxi Press heat press
- Roland Texart RT 640 Dye-Sublimation Transfer Printer
- Brother PE-770 5″ x 7″ CNC embroidery sewing machine
- Roland MDX-40A 12″ x 12″ x 4″ CNC router, with rotary axis
- Forest Scientific HS Series 48″ x 96″ x 10.5″ CNC router
Don’t worry if you don’t have experience with any of these options–we’re here to help! The CoA Fab Lab is staffed with Technicians who’ll be holding workshops and helping you get acquainted with what’s available.
How much does it cost?
All College of Alameda students will have FREE, full access to the CoA Fab Lab as part of their enrollment. This means:
- No membership fees
- No machine time fees
- No material fees
We want to see your ideas, not your wallet (unless you want to make a wallet!).
How do I get started?
Users must sign up for a Makernet account to use the CoA Fab Lab. This is where you’ll sign up for workshops, reserve machines, and share your projects with other Fab Lab users.
The next step would be to sign up for the Intro and Shop Safety workshop. After completing the Intro and Shop Safety workshop, you’ll be able to take workshops focused on Fab Lab equipment.
How do I reserve?
College of Alameda FabLab
P: (510) 748-5278
L: Room D-102