Starting Your VA Benefits at the College of Alameda
Veterans Resource Center HOURS and Location
Spring Semester: 8 AM – 4:30 PM
Fall Semester: 8 AM – 4:30 PM
Location: G-Building 2nd Floor
Completing the following items will ensure the proper processing of your VA benefits. Turn in all documents to the COA VA Certifying Official, La Shawn Brumfield at (510) 748-5284.
- Apply to the College of Alameda.
- Fill out the application at the VA website. Print out your completed application. Return a copy to COA’s certifying official.
- After completing your VA Application, the VA will send by mail a Certificate of Eligibility outlining the terms of your benefits in 2-8 weeks.
- Submit official transcripts from all previous colleges.
- Submit a copy of DD214 (Discharge from Service Document).
- Complete necessary Placement/Self Assessment Tests in L-226. Call (510) 748-5267 to schedule an appointment.
- Meet with Jamar Mears, your Veterans Counselor to complete a Student Education Plan. Call (510) 748-5283 to make an academic counseling appointment.
- Enroll in current semester classes 24-48 hours after applying.
For more information contact VA Certifying Official, La Shawn Brumfield, at (510) 748-5284.
LaShawn Brumfield, Staff Assistant/ Certifying Official
Jamar Mears, Counselor