What is a Welfare-To-Work Plan?

Within CalWORKs, eligible participants are given a Welfare-to-Work (WTW) Plan which documentswhat activities they’ll participate in to meet CalWORKs requirements.  This typically includes college training programs, volunteering, job search or employment through work study, and others (depending on the recipient).  Typically the activities are determined by the recipient and their...

Is CalWORKs related to EOPS/CARE?

Sort of! Care is a program within EOPS for CalWORKs participants who also meet EOPS eligibility requirements, are a single-parent head of household, and have at least one child fourteen (14) year of age or younger.  For more information, please visit College of Alameda’s EOPS/Care

Is CalWORKs the same as TANF?

Yes! CalWORKs is California’s interpretation of TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families), which is a federal program.

What are the benefits of participating in CalWORKs?

CalWORKS at Social Services offer supportive services for student attending college with: Transportation fundsAccess to affordable childcare and fundsAncillary funds to purchase required books, materials, and supplies for college classesReferrals to resources to obtain housing and other vital supportive services CalWORKs at College of Alameda offer supportive services for students...

How does a student become part of CalWORKs?

To participate in CalWORKs, a student must be a parent of eligible minor(s), have an active CalWORKs through County Social Services, and be enrolled at College of Alameda. If you are not currently participating in CalWORKs but you would like to see if you’re eligible, apply online using Benefits Cal or through...