Employment Type: Federal Work-Study
All potential Federal Work Study Student Employees must be approved for and awarded Federal Work Study funding via the College of Alameda Financial Aid Office. The Financial Aid Office maintains a pool of qualified individuals who are eligible to participate in the Federal Work-Study Program. At this time there may not be an immediate vacancy, but candidates may provide their application to this posting. To learn more about the Federal Work-Study Program, please visit: https://alameda.edu/services/financial-aid/financial-aid-programs/federal-work-study/
College of Alameda’s mission is to meet the educational needs of its multicultural and diverse community by providing excellent comprehensive and flexible programs including basic skills, transfer, and occupational, which will enable each student to achieve their own unique goals. The College is California’s only island-based community college, and it offers both park-like tranquility and easy access to urban resources. Having served almost half a million day, evening, and weekend students since its 1970 founding, College of Alameda enjoys a well-deserved reputation for excellence in its academic, vocational, and student support programs. The College of Alameda is proud of its strong ties to the City of Alameda and is recognized for its strong partnerships with the local business community.
Reporting Supervisor: Glenda Gardner
Pay Rate: $15.75 per hour
This position allows students to learn more about the library resources while gaining a hands-on experience with the operations of libraries.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide information about the library to the public and students.
- Check in/out circulation library materials, textbooks and periodicals.
- Learn Library of Congress Classification system.
- Perform other related clerical and technical duties assigned.
- Ability to file in alphabetical order.
- Have knowledge of numbering system including decimal point.
- Ability to work with public and students.
- Physical skills and ability to lift books and maintain the shelves.
- Ability to work with computers.
- occasional standing, walking, stooping, kneeling, squatting, and
- climbing stairs
- occasional lifting and carrying up to 15 lbs.
- occasional pushing and pulling up to 20 lbs.
- occasional twisting of body
- occasional use of manual dexterity
- occasional use of tactile acuity
- occasional use of visual acuity from a distance, with depth, and for
- frequent work at a rapid pace
- frequent reaching, high, low, and level
- frequent audio acuity at all ranges, including speech
- frequent visual acuity for reading
- constant sitting
- constant use of clear oral communication
- flexibility or ability to respond to multiple demands
Tools & Equipment Used:
Computer, standard office machines and equipment, equipment that may be specific to an assigned discipline/functional area.
Academic year, based on availability of funds and student’s financial aid eligibility.