Steps for Enrolling at College of Alameda

Getting Started

In order to enroll at the College of Alameda, you will need to complete a couple of steps. All students can enroll In credit or noncredit classes, regardless of immigration status. Your first step is to decide which classes you would like to enroll in. Click on the links below to identify different options.

Enrolling in Noncredit Classes

Students who enroll in noncredit classes are not required to pay fees. Nor do they need to meet the eligibility for AB 540/SB 68. Additionally, completing noncredit classes could count towards attendance requirements for in-state tuition   

Enrolling in Credit Classes

Students who register for credit courses are required to pay tuition and fees. California Community Colleges charge for classes by the unit. Therefore, each student pays depending on how many units they plan to enroll in. Additionally, these charges can differ based on whether you are considered a resident or nonresident student for tuition purposes. Undocumentedindividuals s well as citizens and other eligible students might be eligible to avoid nonresident fees through California law: AB 540/SB 68. If you meet these requirements, you will also be eligible to apply for financial aid through the California Dream Act application. If you do not currently meet the eligibility requirements, use this SB 68/AB 540 Attendance worksheet to help you figure out your next steps.

Enrolling Credit Classes as a High School Student

College of Alameda participates in Peralta’s High School Special Enrollment which provides enrichment opportunities for high school students who can benefit from college level instruction. Admission to the college requires approval from your high school counselor and students must meet assessment requirements.

Paying In-State Tuition vs Out of State Tuition

In-State/Resident Tuition and Fees
(AB 540/SB 68)

Out of State/Non-Resident Fees*
(Non AB 540/SB 68)

Non Credit Classes



Credit Classes per Unit

 $46 per unit plus local fees

$265 per unit plus local fees

Credit Classes Full time
(24 units per year)



Eligible for CA Dream Act



Paying Resident Fees with AB 540/SB 68

What Is AB 540/SB 68?
    • AB 540 exempts students (including undocumented students) who meet eligibility requirements from out-of-state tuition fees.
    • In 2017, AB 540 was expanded through SB 68 to include adult schools and CA Community Colleges (non-credit and credit classes) attendance and other graduation or degree requirements
What are the benefits of AB 540/SB 68?
    • Qualifying for AB 540/SB 68 provides students with the ability to pay resident fees and apply for the state-based financial aid through the CA Dream Act, if eligible. AB 540/SB 68 also allows eligible students to 1) participate in EOPS and EOP at the CCC, CSU and UC and 2) receive the admissions application fee waiver at the CSU and UC.
Who is eligible for AB 540?
    • Undocumented individuals, T and U visa holders, U.S. citizens, and lawfully present immigrants who meet the attendance and degree requirements can apply.
What are the attendance and degree requirements for AB 540/SB 68?
    • Students must meet the requirements for Part One and Part Two
      • PART ONE: Time and Coursework Requirements (either 1 or 2):
        1. Attendance for three full-time years or the equivalent at any combination of the following:
          1. California high school
          2. California adult school
          3. California community college (both credit and non-credit courses)
            ***Two years maximum for credit courses can apply toward requirement***\
        2. Three years of California high school credits, along with three years of total attendance at a California elementary school, California secondary school, or any combination of the three.


      • PART TWO: Degree or Unit Requirements (completion of any of the following):
        1. Graduation from a California high school or the equivalent (GED, HiSET, TASC, CHSPE)
        2. Attainment of an Associate degree from a California Community College
        3. Fulfillment of the minimum transfer requirements from a California Community College to a UC or CSU campus
How do I become eligible for AB 54/SB 68 at College of Alameda?

Resources To Support You with AB 540/SB 68

Here are some resources that can help you

    1. AB 540 SB 68 Affidavit for the CCCs
    2. FAQs about Submitting the Affidavit
    3. SB 68 Attendance Worksheet
    4. College of Alameda Poster