Librarians are available to assist you in-person, via chat, e-mail and over the phone (510-748-2398). The library has a large collection of online resources and services that can be accessed on our Library Online Services webpage. Faculty should contact the library to schedule a library instruction session for their class. Faculty may request Zoom library orientations and embedded librarians for Canvas. Faculty are encouraged to discuss library resources, services and instruction with a librarian, especially in relation to available resources for specific assignments and course development. We also recommend that faculty provide librarians with a copy of assignments that may require library research.
Contact the Circulation Desk to check books in or out; checking on or clearing holds, renewals and blocks on your record; and other circulation concerns. During the closure (due to Covid), the Library is offering curbside pick-up service (by appointment), for materials that circulate such as Chromebooks, calculators and circulating books. Textbooks are not available during the closure (due to Covid).
- During the closure (due to Covid), the Library is offering curbside pick-up service (by appointment), for materials that circulate such as Chromebooks, calculators and circulating books. Textbooks are not available during the closure (due to Covid).
- Students must be currently enrolled in classes in Peralta and have a student identification card with current semester sticker — this ID is also your library card.
- Faculty must present a current photo ID to checkout materials. For new accounts or expired accounts, faculty will also be asked to present verification of current employment.
- When the campus reopens, student IDs can be obtained from the Welcome Center in Bldg. A. Having this card will also allow students to check out materials from College of Alameda and the other Peralta Community College District Libraries.
- Only students registered for classes at COA may check out Chromebooks. During the closure (due to Covid), Chromebooks will checkout for the entire semester through the curbside service. Only one Chromebook per student allowed.
- A total of 5 circulating books/magazines, three in one subject area, may be checked out at one time. Circulating books can be checked out for 3 weeks and can be renewed 2 times (as long as there is no hold and not overdue).
- Reserve Textbooks are library use only, checkout for 2 hours and a max of two textbooks per person. During the closure (due to Covid), textbooks are not available for checkout.
- The most current issue of magazines is library use only. Many older periodicals going back to Jan. 2011 may be checked out for 3 weeks and be renewed 2 times (excluding reference items, current issue, bound issues, rare items and newspapers). A total of 5 circulating books/magazines, 3 in one subject area, may be checked out at one time.
- Books can be returned in the book drop located on the outside of the L Building (located on the wall to the left of the building entrance) and also in the book drop slots located inside the building at the Circulation Desk. Chromebooks and calculators should not be returned in the book drop and instead should be returned in-person. (by appointment, during the Covid closure).
- During the closure (due to Covid), calculators will checkout (through the curbside service) for the entire semester. When the Library reopens, Calculators will be kept at the Reserve Desk and checkout for 7 days. There is a max checkout of 1 per person. Only students registered for classes at COA may check out the calculators.
- Charging cords and headphones are 2 hour checkouts, library use only. There is max checkout of 1 each per person. They cannot leave the Library.
- Reference books are library use only. They cannot leave the Library.
- Renewals can be done over the phone (510-748-2120) or via email (COALibrary@peralta.edu). Books that have a hold placed on them or have been renewed the maximum number of times cannot be renewed. An item can only be renewed if it has not exceeded the maximum number of renewals and does not have a hold. Faculty may request approval from the Access Services Librarian for a third renewal. Once you have returned an item that has already been renewed the maximum number of times, you must wait one week before checking the same item out again.
- Patrons may place a hold on a circulating book that is currently checked out by requesting that the staff place a hold in the system for them. Patrons can request a hold over the phone (510-748-2120) or via email (COALibrary@peralta.edu). A hold prevents the item from being renewed and initiates a notification to the waiting patron that the book has been returned and is being held for them at the Circulation Desk. Books are kept on the hold shelf for one week.
- Faculty checkouts over intersessions – Before the semester ends, current faculty (those scheduled to teach in one of the adjacent sessions on either side of an intersession) may checkout books to keep over intersessions that fall between the regular Spring, Summer and Fall sessions. The due date will be set for the first day of the next regular session (Summer is considered a regular session for this policy). Standard policy on number of checkouts and renewals will apply.
- People are blocked from checking out until overdue materials are either returned, renewed or the replacement cost is paid. The replacement cost varies depending on the item and damage. To pay for a lost or damaged item, contact the Library for a copy of the fine details, send the fine details to the cashier with the payment in form of a cashier’s check, when the cashier receives payment they will contact the Library to let them know the Library block can be cleared.
During the closure (due to Covid), textbooks are not available.
When the Library reopens, Reserves/textbooks are located next to the Circulation Desk and house the textbooks, Chromebooks, charging cords, calculators and other materials that have been placed on Reserve. You will need a current student id to use Reserve materials. Instructors are encouraged to contact the Reserves Supervisor several weeks prior to the semester in order to place materials on Reserve.
- Vacant, Reserves Supervisor, (510) 748-2122
During the closure (due to Covid), study rooms are not available.
When the Library reopens, the Library has several study rooms available for current students to use for class-related study. For more information on study rooms, see the COA Library’s Study Room Policy (below under Policies section).
The Library subscribes to over 50 print periodicals. Current issues and six months of back issues are shelved in the Browsing Area. Ask at the circulation desk for issues that are older than six months. The most current issue of magazines is library use only. Many older periodicals may be checked out for 3 weeks and be renewed 2 times (excluding reference items, current issues, bound issues, rare items and newspapers). At total of 5 magazines, 3 in one subject area, may be checked out at one time.
- Vacant, Periodicals Supervisor, (510) 748-2252
Library Office and Acquisitions:
Contact the Technical Services/Systems Librarian for any information on concerning the cataloging or processing of books.
- Technical Services/Systems Librarian, (510) 748-2253 or email