- Faculty Representatives (3) one of whom serves as Chair
- Administrative Representatives (3)
- Classified Representatives (2)
- Work all constituents to create and foster diverse professional development activities
- Establish priorities and procedures and approve funding requests for Professional Development activities.
- Oversee the sabbatical leave process (see Article 26, Paragraph R and the Sabbatical Leave Handbook for description of guidelines, procedures, applicants, etc.); and review, score and rank all applicants. The committee shall make its recommendations to the College President and the Chancellor.
- Plan and Evaluate the Flex Day activities
Meeting Schedule and Location
Academic Year 2020 -2021
Meetings: The first Monday of every month
Time: 12:00 – 1:00 pm
Place: Professional Development Committee Zoom Room
All are welcome to attend. The Professional Development Committee can be reached by email by contacting your 2019-2020 chairs, Diana Bajrami (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Maurice Jones (email@example.com). Please include Marivic Lizardo (firstname.lastname@example.org) in your correspondence with chairs.
|Classified Staff||Marivic Lizardo|
|December 14, 2021||Agenda||Minutes|
|March 1, 2021||Agenda||Minutes|
|December 14, 2020||Agenda||Minutes|
|December 7, 2020||Agenda||Minutes|
|November 2, 2020||Agenda||Minutes|
|August 31, 2020||Agenda||Minutes|
|October 7, 2019||Agenda||Minutes|
|September 4, 2019||Agenda||Minutes|
|November 5, 2018||Agenda||Minutes|
|September 10, 2018||Agenda||Minutes|
|February 5, 2018||Agenda||Minutes|
|December 4, 2017||Agenda||Minutes|
|November 6, 2017||Agenda||Minutes|
|October 3, 2017||Agenda||Minutes|
|September 5, 2017||Agenda||Minutes|
|August 14, 2017||Agenda||Minutes|
The Professional Development Committee at CoA met in a special meeting (August 31, 2020) to re establish new guidelines for the submission of professional development funding requests for Fall 2020 semester and ensure that faculty have an opportunity to participate in virtual professional development training during Fall 2020 semester.
These funds could be used for virtual conferences, courses related to your professional development aligned with your department/college mission and goals. The process and timeline for applications is listed below.
As of Fall 2020, based on current budget projections, full and part-time faculty, can apply up to $500 per semester. This maximum amount is subject to change pending funds availability.
Here are the steps to apply for Professional Development funding for conferences, classes, workshops and other appropriate uses:
How do I request Professional Development Funds for approved activities?
Step # 1: Read the Professional Development Selection Criteria
Step # 2: Complete the Professional Development Funds Application Form
and required information –It’s newly revised to be completed fully online.
Step # 3: Complete Part/Tab 1 of the Travel Request Form 7400
of Peralta District, sign and date it and also discuss this with you your Dean or supervisor and obtain their approval/signature, as well. You must obtain a supervisor’s signature before the committee can review your request.
Step # 4: E-mail the completed Travel form (tab 1 only) to PD Committee Co-Chairs Diana Bajrami (email@example.com); Maurice Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org; and marivic Lizardo (Mlizardo@peralta.edu)
Step # 5 : For reimbursement, upon the completion of the event, you complete tab 2 of the Travel form and also a statement on how you plan to share the event/activity with colleagues, COA-FAS, and/or the Peralta District. Examples on how to share info: Write an evaluation/assessment report; facilitate a professional day workshop; facilitate a faculty engagement workshop; give a presentation to your department/discipline
Please see the file below for a more detailed timeline of what is required for your request to be approved:
All applications will be reviewed during the regular Professional Development Committee meetings, so for any application to be considered and to be approved you must apply by
October 2, 2020 for any activity that starts after this date
October 30, 2020 for any activity that starts after this date
November 27, 2020 for any activity that starts after this date
More deadlines for activities that take place during Spring 2021 will be posted soon.
- Awards for full-time and part-time faculty are limited to a maximum of $500 per person during Fall semester. All faculty are eligible. Classified professionals are encouraged to contact your Classified Senate President for information regarding possible funding.
- Funds are allocated for tuition (courses aligned with the mission/goals/discipline areas), conference registration fees
- These funds at this point are allocated for Fall semester activities and a decision about Spring will be made as soon as we have more information
- The PD committee will use the criteria below to assess your application and request
- the nature of the event being related to the PD Committee and College goals and the priority of ensuring a high quality of online teaching
- the nature of the event being shared with students, discipline, division, college
Funds will not be allocated for:
- Faculty on leave without pay
- Part-time faculty who are not currently teaching at College of Alameda during Fall 2020 semester
Upon the completion of these form, also please consider organizing a Professional Development Training
What is the process of facilitating a workshop?
Our Goal — Share of knowledge, effective practices
Once you complete your professional development activity, we encourage you to disseminate your knowledge. Present your growth during district and college flex days, share with your department or colleagues, write an article for the COA Splash, or submit to us and we will post your accomplishments on our webpage.
We are accepting application for October 20 Flex Day, as well as Spring Flex Day, and the committee
To be considered for October 20 Flex Day, please submit a proposal no later than October 2
Complete and submit to the Professional Development Committee the Professional Development Workshop Proposal Form