Library Planning Documents

Key Documents

 Unit Plans, Program Reviews, Discipline Plans and Department Meetings

Integrated Budget Plans

Yearly Statistics (2002-2021)

Library Surveys – (additional surveys available within Taskstream/CurricUNET META)

    • COA Library – Student Survey (Fall 2019)- A total of 102 students completed the survey. Overall, students are satisfied or highly satisfied with our staff/librarians (95%), facilities (96%) and collection (72%).  The majority of our users are COA students (92%) and tend to use the library more than once a week (68%). Of those that looked for a book in the COA Library, 81% found what they needed. Of those that looked for an article in the COA Library databases, 81% found what they needed. A quarter or more of students surveyed would like to see more study rooms, more comfortable seating, charging stations, laptops for checkout, charging cords for checkout and new books. Student comments responding to the question asking “what else they would like to tell us” were overall very positive with 80% expressing gratitude for various library services and the other 20% making recommendations for additional services.  There was only 1 negative comment for this question and it was not about the Library. Action Taken: As a result of the survey responses, the Library identified funding, developed processes for, and began offering Chromebooks, charging cords and graphing calculators for checkout.
    • COA Library – Faculty Instruction Survey (Fall 2019) – Faculty participating in library instructions sessions expresses a high level of satisfaction with the librarian presentations.  Action Taken: As a result of the survey results, the Library began to offer Zoom instruction sessions, in addition to in-person sessions. This was done in an attempt to provide more flexible options for session times and to reach more online classes.
    • CCSSE Community College Survey of Student Engagement, Survey Data for Library Questions – 2017, College of Alameda, 2017 – (Question #12 relates to Library Services)
    • COA Campus-wide Survey Results, March 2016 – published within the Data Portfolio for the Educational Master Plan (pg. 46, Question #17 relates to Library Services).
    • CCSSE Community College Survey of Student Engagement, College of Alameda, 2014 – (Question #12 relates to Library Services)
    • Fall 2013 Library Student Survey
    • Fall 2013 Library Student Survey – Summary
    • Fall 2013 Library Student Survey Analysis for Accreditation
    • Student Survey Spring 2008
    • Faculty Survey Results Fall 2007
    • Student Survey Fall 2005

Follow-Up Studies – (additional surveys available within Taskstream/CurricUNET META)

Library Courses:

More Links and Resources​

X